To ensure success, it is so important for you to have a stocked, paleo-friendly kitchen and cupboard.
Below are some of the essentials that I MUST have in my kitchen. You can almost certainly come up with a simple paleo meal with any 2-3 ingredients.
- Canned coconut milk (I like to keep one can in the fridge in case I only want to use the cream)
- A whole chicken in the freezer (great for crock pot)
- Chicken breasts and chicken tenderloins in the freezer
- Ground beef, frozen (separated into baggies, about .5-.75 lbs in each bag)
- Frozen broccoli (I’m not much of a frozen vegetable person. I prefer fresh, but I find that frozen broccoli doesn’t bother me as much as other frozen vegetables. It’s always good to just have some frozen veggies on hand)
- Raw Almonds
- Strawberries and blueberries
- Some go-to veggies: Carrots, cauliflower, bell pepper, onion, butter lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, garlic
- Tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste
- Real, unprocessed deli meat from the deli counter (not the chopped, processed and pressed variety)
- Almond butter
- A plethora of herbs and spices (go to the bulk section of the grocery store and create your own mixes)
- Fats: unsalted butter, coconut oil, olive oil (try http://www.kretareserve.com/)
Some suggestions for quick paleo-friendly meals:
- For lunches:
- Leftovers!! I used to hate leftovers, but now I’ve come to love them. Cook one meal, get multiple meals out of it. As a bonus, some meals even taste better on day 2.
- No-cook lunch: grab some of your deli meat, some carrot sticks, celery sticks and either some almond butter or guacamole (I like to keep Wholly Guacamole snack packs in my freezer. I just throw them (frozen) into my lunch bag, and then by lunch time, it’s thawed http://eatwholly.com/products/wholly-guacamole/classic-snack-pack.html)
- Hard-boiled eggs with strawberries and almonds
- If you’re in a pinch, pack your veggies and fats. You can find better-for-you options for protein more easily than for sides =)
Check my post https://aliwentpaleo.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/paleo-to-go/ for more paleo-to go ideas!